A marriage certificate is an official statement that two people are married. There are two type of marriage certificates in Pakistan: (i) manual marriage certificate which is also known as Nikkah Nama in Urdu. (ii) fully computerized NADRA marriage certificate.
Nikkah Nama / Manual marriage certificate
Married couple initially gets manual nikkah nama from the same nikkah khawan (molvi) who solemnized the nikkah with official stamp and signature of registered nikkah khawan.
Nikkah nama is very important and mandatory document because it contains all important information and signatures of bride, bridegroom and witnesses etc.
NADRA marriage certificate
NADRA marriage certificate is fully computerized document which contains both Urdu and English contents of married people. Similar to NADRA birth certificate NADRA has also developed a special system to issue NADRA marriage certificates.
NADRA is not directly issuing these NADRA marriage certificate.
Pakistan NADRA marriage certificate can be issued from following authorities in Pakistan depending upon the address and area where you live:
- Union Council
- TMA Office
- Cantonment Board Office
- Arbitration Council in Islamabad
Requirements to obtain NADRA marriage certificate:
- Copy of nikkah nama / manual marriage certificate
- Copy of CNIC from bride
- Copy of CNIC from bridegroom
- Copy of father’s CNIC from bride & bridegroom
- Copy of CNIC from nikkah khawan (molvi)
- Copies of passport in case anyone from bride or bridegroom is foreigner
Sample image of NADRA marriage certificate:
Steps to follow for issuance of NADRA marriage certificate:
- Arrange all required documents and visit the relevant issuing office from above list depending upon your current residence address. In all major cities like Karachi, Lahore, Rawalpindi, Faisalabad, Multan, Hyderabad, and Peshawar local union councils are fully authorized to issue NADRA marriage certificates using NADRA installed systems on a special paper. While for residents of cantonment areas it can be issued from cantonment board offices, for residents of many small cities it can also be obtained from TMA offices and Islamabad residents can obtain their NADRA marriage certificates from Arbitration Council office.
- Concerned issuing office will ask you to fill an application form for NADRA marriage certificate. This application form can be obtained from same issuing office. Click here to check sample application form to know it’s contents.
- Submit your documents along-with filled application form and official fee in same issuing office.
- Collect your NADRA marriage certificate on given date from same issuing office. In normal situations, NADRA marriage certificate can be issued within 3-5 working days if all required documents are available but this period can vary in different circumstances.
- Make sure that all contents of your NADRA marriage certificate are accurate. Re-check your particulars on marriage certificate and match them with your official documents. You can ask for correction if there is any typo mistake by the issuing office.
Comments and feedback is welcomed to improve this article. Share it with your friends if you find it helpful.